Location: London, SW6
This is a fantastic opportunity for a skilled Systems Engineer with a strong interest in moving into DevOps to join our ambitious and expanding Development and Operations team.
This requires an engineer with excellent Linux administration skills, good knowledge of JVM based server-side applications and Web Applications.
You will be working closely with the development team to test, debug, tune and streamline our development/production infrastructures. You will also assist in configuring and maintaining the live systems, patching and updating our application and web and database servers whilst ensuring the stability of the platform is maintained
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for configuring, maintaining and troubleshooting the software infrastructure and systems configuration that supports the development, testing and delivery of our online identify verification product and related auxiliary systems.
- You will participate in scalable systems design, as well as problem diagnostics and performance optimization.
- You will be involved in security reviews, risk assessment and policy and process development.
- You should also have a strong interest in learning DevOps skills like automating system config management /release using tools like Docker and Ansible.
- Research, design and develop new solutions for the automation processing of the hosting environment.
- Install, configure, maintain and tune Web, Application and Database Servers
- Analyze and report on performance bottlenecks to the development teams and database administrators
- JVM maintenance and tuning
- Configure and maintain application level load balancing, fail over, high availability and Disaster Recovery
- Record and document any new processes and ensure the dissemination of this knowledge among peers.
- Design, configure and maintain the system monitoring and alerting solutions
- Analyze and report on network and infrastructure performance bottlenecks, and information security vulnerabilities and risks
- Monitor and analyse traffic growth to project capacity requirements
Qualifications, Skills, Experience Required
- Experience working in secure, high availability environments
- Experience with commercial cloud services like Amazon AWS
- Demonstrable experience and expertise with operation of a Continuous Delivery environment
- Strong Linux experience.
- Good knowledge of using version control systems such as GIT, Continuous Integration systems such as Jenkins
- Good knowledge in using monitoring tools such as LibreNMS, Nagios, Mutiny or similar
- Experience in system design and integration
- Strong debugging and diagnostic skills
- Strong system optimization skills across all platform layers
- Demonstrable experience in driving configuration management related processes through from development to production
- Extensive knowledge of cloud standards such as Openstack, OVS, CIMI, etc.
- Good knowledge and experience of Web Servers Administration (Apache and Tomcat) and builds
- Good knowledge and experience of PostgresSQL and SQL queries
Personal Skills and Qualities
- Meticulous in handling production systems
- Passion for debugging and optimization
- Excellent organisational and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to work independently with little supervision as well as having the ability to work effectively within a small team
- Self-motivated with strong team spirit
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Receptive to constructive criticism
- Strong presentation, analytical, diagnostic and creative problem solving skills
- Unafraid to take calculated risks
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Infrastructure design experience
- The ability to test new technologies and analyse their feasibility to be integrated into the existing infrastructure
- Experience in a Kanban/Scrum operational environment
If you wish to apply for this role, please send your CV to email@example.com.